How much does it cost to create an app? This is one of the most frequently asked questions among those who have a specific idea or need and have decided to develop an application.
The price of an app depends on many factors: the technology chosen to develop it (native, cross-platform, web …); the functionalities that it includes; the design requirements … In this article, we will enter into some of these variables.
How much do you think about mobile application costs?
The answer we give to this question is always the same: the price of a mobile application can be from € 1,000 to € 120,000 (or more!). It all depends on the specifications of the app.
In short, there is no single price for the development of an application.
To explain this large scale of price, we could compare an app with a car. We know that prices vary greatly depending on a number of factors, such as quality, model, options or size. So you can get an idea, the cost of creating an app for Android, for example, is usually lower than for an iOS one.
Therefore, it seems logical that an SUV model with GPS tracking and voice control costs more than a standard Dacia.
In the case of mobile applications, the principle is the same … or almost. Instead of paying for the material, you invest in the time needed to develop the app. While some applications can be created in 50 hours others may need 500.
To obtain a benefit with the development of the app it is very important to have a team that knows how to create it and defines the project in detail. Knowing which path you want to follow is of great importance before starting.
Every professional in the field of mobile applications, whether from a digital agency or an independent application developer, will request this information before preparing a budget, that is, they will need to know what the customer is looking for.
One more tip if you want to know how much it costs to design an app: don’t hesitate to ask for a quote from several application developers. You will be surprised to see how much the price can vary for the same mobile application.
How much it is worth doing a mobile application: what factors influence
As mentioned earlier, the price of a mobile application depends on the combination of several factors. These are the most important.
Some features of an application require a certain development time. Some can be “easy” to configure and will not take much time for the developer of the app.
However, if you want to know how much an app costs, you should know that other aspects will require more effort and, therefore, will be more expensive. For example, a contact form can be added to the app quickly, but a geographic tracking system will require more effort.
2. User interface and application design
The user interface and the design of the application are two essential elements for the application to succeed. At this point, it is also important that the client and the developer agree on the objectives to be achieved.
Share your ideas clearly with the developer of the application so that he can dedicate efforts to what you really consider important.
To know how much it costs to make an app it is also essential to know on which platforms it will be available. Do you want to create an application for iOS or Android? This question is important since there are differences between Android and iOS when creating a mobile app.
Another question you should ask yourself is: am I looking for a native, hybrid or web application?
A native application will always be more expensive than a web or hybrid application.
But be careful: a native application has to be the best solution. Hybrid and web technologies are more suitable for certain types of projects. Keep in mind that if you want to develop an application on several platforms, the price will definitely be higher.
To know how much an app costs you should not only consider the platforms for which you want to develop the application. Within the various operating systems there are different product lines with different functionalities. This is one of the factors that we tend to forget when defining a mobile application project.
For example, the iOS spectrum includes up to the iPhone 11 and each of the models has different software and features. The goal is to create an application with performance graphics on each device to ensure optimal access.
4. Additional costs
When it comes to analyzing how much it costs to make an app, you should not miss expenses such as investment in marketing or the cost of uploading the application to different app stores.
- How much does it cost to have an application in the Play Store? The registration as a developer has a cost of $ 25 (single payment). A new one-time payment of $ 25 will be made for each application that is uploaded.
- How much does it cost to publish an app in the Apple Store? The cost of registration as a developer is $ 99 with annual renewal. With this license, you can upload applications to the App Store.
The costs of data storage must also be taken into account in forecasting the financial plan. Finally, don’t forget maintenance data, such as updates and bug fixes.
How much does it cost to create an app based on the type of application
Before an application developer can provide you with a precise budget to know how much it costs to program an application you must define the functional specifications. The following indications can help you have a general idea of the budget in case the application should be developed from scratch:
- Marketplace app: between € 12,000 and € 20,000. The price of this mobile application will depend on factors such as the number of users and roles, functionalities (chat, payments, etc.) and buyer interactions during the sales process.
- E-commerce application : between € 15,000 and € 25,000 . The price depends on the number of references that will be sold through the application and the required management software, as well as the discount systems, affiliated programs, and payment options.
- App of a game: the answer to how much a mobile application is worth doing, in this case, it is between € 30,000 and € 50,000. In these applications the design makes the price rise. Elements related to the dynamics of the game also influence, as if it is for a single player or if it supports a multiplayer option.
- Marketing application: between € 2,000 and € 5,000. This app could be, for example, to promote events and, in many cases, it is only used at a certain time.
- Application of a social network: between € 15,000 and € 25,000. The price depends on the design, functionality and privacy and security software.
- Internal management applications: between € 12,000 and € 20,000. In the latter case, how much it costs to make the app depends on the number of interaction possibilities between employees and the administrator. Like, for example, signing contracts through the app, assigning tasks to an employee, chat function, etc.